This guilt inducing dessert has been transformed into a raw creation devoid of forbidden calories. Carrot cake is made with carrots, walnuts, almonds, shreds of coconut and cinnamon. It is glazed with creamy cashew frosting in place of the usual gut busting dairy cream cheese. It’s intense nourishment, opulent look and celestial taste usually elicits cries of “It tastes better than the baked one”.
7 carrots I shred ½ with grater attachment of food processor and then chop the other half in food processor
1 cup almonds, soaked overnight
11⁄2 cups walnuts or pecans
1⁄2 cup flax seed (chia seeds soak for 15- 20 minutes If you use chia here, then you can substitute Flax meal below for the chia meal), soaked 15-20 min
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup raisins ( or Goji berries or golden berries)
3 tablespoons ground chia seed meal
2-3 teaspoons cinnamon (to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg, clove powders
1 cup coconut syrup or 1/4 monk fruit-I prefer pure without added xylitol, or honey or Jerusalem artichoke syrup
2 Tbsp Coconut oil
2 Tbsp lecithin
Natural waxed paper
- Process carrots, almonds, 1 cup of walnuts, and flax seeds in a food processor (pulsing) until well blended.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in shredded coconut, raisins, soaked chia seed (flax) or meal, vanilla, and sweetener, and mix well with a spoon.
- Cut a long strip of natural waxed paper 2 inches wide and apply along the wall of
springform pan, to cover entire inside wall of pan.
- Press 1/2 mixture firmly into 10-inch springform pan and refridgerate while you make the frosting. Keep the other half to the side.
- After the frosting is ready, frost the middle layer, add the second half of the carrot-nut cake mix, frost the top and sides (if you desire) and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or minimum of 2 hours
1 cup raw coconut syrup, or honey or yucon syrup or a mixture- Or 1/3 cup monk fruit to taste
juice of 1⁄2 lemon
2 teaspoon vanilla or more to taste,
2 Tbsp lecithin
2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Blend cashews, sweetener, lemon juice, and vanilla in Vita-Mix blender or food processor until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Add 1/2 cake mixture to pan and frost middle layer. Add the other 1/2 of carrot cake mixture, gently pressing onto the middle layer of frosting. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Unmold cake from springform pan and place on a serving platter.
- Ice top and sides of cake and garnish with walnuts and a few shavings of carrot. Using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, peel a carrot into spiral strips and make several cones for decoration.