Homeopathic Fever Guide
Homeopathy for Fevers
Viral fever, influenza with body aches, fatigue, headache
- Belladona – for sudden dry fevers, without sweating, often with a terrible headache often throbbing, with rosy cheeks, red flushed face, delirium, pupils often dilated. They will often prefer a dark room and crave a lemon drink, although could be thirstless too. A mild ear infection or tonsillitis, especially on the right side, might trigger the fever.
- Aconite or aconitum – for fevers without rosy cheeks, and often accompanied by chills, thirst for cold water, a fever after exposure to cold wind, or a fright. There is often restlessness and anxiety.
- Ferrum Phosphoricum – for the beginning stages of cold and fever, At the onset of feeling sick, but not yet differentiated with intense symptoms yet, mucus, runny nose. Children may seem restless and alert but not anxious. Also used to treat high fever in cases of pneumonia, with shortness of breath, anxiety, restlessness especially with elderly patients.
- Gelsemium – for beginning stages, remittent fevers (abate at intervals but do not totally cease) accompanied by muscle weakness, tiredness and feeling of exhaustion. Weakness, dizziness and tendency to faint.
- Bryonia- “silent fever”, They have restlessness, pain on the eyes, dry mouth, cold and chilly. They have body aches but unlike a Rhus Tox fever, they want to lay down, and get worse with movement. Increased thirst for water.
- Nux Vomica-fever is accompanied by discoloration of fingernails (turns bluish), body pain, stomach upset, nausea, thirst, vertigo and weakened muscles. They have extreme chilliness and want to remain covered the entire time. This fever may have been induced by something overdone, too much of something. For example, getting sick after a night of binge drinking.
- Rhus Tox– Fever from getting wet in the rain, severe body aches that leads to restlessness, and the child wants to move a lot looking for relief,
General Fever like teething, a urinary tract infection, or an infected wound
- Phosphorus – dry fever, excessive thirst, child appears normal and healthy
- Pulsatilla – fever associated with teething in infants and simultaneous infection causing cold. Fever may be high or low, child will be clingy, and want to be held and cuddles. They won’t like stuffy rooms and will like fresh air. They are likely thirstless.
- Chamomillia – Helps protect from high fevers, used with fevers associated with teething where the face feels hot and the body is normal temperature, or one cheek is red and the other is pale.
Other Conditions and Homeopathic Remedies
- Ferrum Phosphoricum
Measles, Chicken pox, Scarlet fever
- Never suppress these eruptions, this can lead to serious brain complications.
- Best remedies are : Belladona, Bryonia Alba, Antimonium Tartaracum and Rhus Toxicodendron.
Homeopathy is individualized and specific. I’m offering very generalized guidelines to help you get started. Be open to learning and gaining more confidence as you go. Homeopathy is safe and effective. Less is always better, don’t administer like Western medicine, because it isn’t. Never take with food, mint, garlic, alcohol, cigarettes, coffee, or with teeth brushing. Wait at least 15-20 minutes before eating.
Potency: Begin with a 30 C or 30 X.
Dosage for Acute fever: Give one pellet under the tongue, once every 15-30 minutes, no more than 4 doses. As soon as you notice a change, either for better or worse, stop administering. And wait an hour to assess the condition. Any change is a sign the remedy is working. You can give 1 pellet in another hour and assess. You may then give 1 pellet every few hours. The following day only give 1 pellet 2-3 x if at all. It’s best to consult a trained holistic healthcare provider versed in homeopathy.
Caution: Be aware that a prolonged fever, dry mucus membranes, a temperature higher than 40.5C (105F), a mottled rash, stiff neck, or unusual weakness, drowsiness and lethargy, may indicate something more serious than a simple fever. If at all concerned about the severity or cause of the fever, or if your child is under 2 months of age, please consult your health care professional.