Flank Steak with Keto Chimichurri Sauce
Keto, Paleo Friendly
I was first introduced to this recipe by my dear friend Maritza, while taking a psychosomatic certification course in Costa Rica, at Heaven and Earth Sanctuary. My taste buds found Heaven on Earth!
1 1/2 pounds flank steak or Lomo de aguja cut of steak, as we call it in Costa Rica
1 1/2 cup blended papaya fruit (the enzymes help tenderize the meat)
1 teaspoon sea salt
Additional Seasoning for meat when you cook it
1 Tbsp dried rosemary (either powdered or dried leaves)
1 clove minces garlic
1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley
1 Tbsp dry oregano
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 large medium firm avocado sliced chopped into ¼ inch pieces
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/3 cup olive oil plus ¼ cup (keep them separated)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Cook with avocado oil as needed, not olive oil
- Stir or whisk together marinade ingredients. Place steak in a large glass or metal container. Pour papaya marinade on top. Seal lid and chill for 2 hours minimum, overnight is best.
- Combine all chimichurri ingredients, Except Avocados, in a blender or food processor, and pulse until smooth. Add avocados after blending is complete along with the extra ¼ olive oil as needed.
- Wipe off papaya from steak. If you leave a little bit, there’s no harm.
- Preheat an oiled skillet (I use avocado oil) or grill to medium-high heat. Add the rosemary and garlic. Sear steak for 6-8 minutes on each side until heavily browned on the outside and slightly pink in the middle.
- Thinly slice steak across the grain and serve with chimichurri sauce on top. You can also serve the sauce on the side and allow guests to serve themselves.